SC - A question of re-creation

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Thu Jul 27 19:55:29 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bogdan
So by giving more credit to those who mill/grow their own, so to
> speak, we are encouraging poor re-creation.

While this may be true (and I freely accept that it is a valid perspective),
I think that the grinding of flour or whatever is in fact an element which
should be taken into account in the judging.  The entrant has tried to
emulate the ingredients used in period as closely as possible.  That should
count for something. Also, it seems to me that there are times when using
the modern equivalent ingredient and trying to recreate the original
ingredient could change the end product slightly.

I would have thought that the same might well apply to pigments.  And I
would score someone more highly for spinning the wool used to weave fabric
(or whatever) too.  I think that it is good to encourage this sort of "hands
on" research.

Gwynydd