SC - Hauviette's Comfits

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Fri Jul 28 11:24:12 PDT 2000

> Greetings.  Jadwiga commented that she was glad she didn't enter
> A&S competitions based on what Hauviette reported the judges to
> have said.  And I know a number of Fine Folk (Duke Cariadoc/David
> Friedman) don't enter them for particular principles.  But, as a
> fan of cooking entries in competitions, myself, I become frustrated
> when I hear/read comments such as Hauviette's judges gave her.

To be fair, (I'm Jadwiga), I have entered a big competition and realized
that they weren't focused on what I wanted, which was comments. It does me
not much good to get a bunch of numbers and a single-sentence comment.
When I started entering competitions locally, it was more or less by
accident, and I got comments that helped me and others that pointed out
stuff that people didn't know, which I put in my documentation more so
that people would find out about it. But when I went to a competition, I
discovered that I really wasn't up to it as far as the cooking
competition. Listening to the discussion here, I figured out that I'm just
never going to be; I don't have the right attitude. ;)

(Though having grown those seeds, I'm still not understanding why it would
make a difference in authenticity to grow your own for comfits. I mean,
it's nice and all to grow your wheat in the right way, and grind it, and
so forth; and there are things I can't do authentically because I don't
have any authentic rose bushes to get fresh roses from so I can't do fresh
rose recipes. But home-grown anise seed and home-grown coriander and
all... are just like the ones you get from the store. The judge sounds
plain ignorant to me. )

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
	nuts work loose.
They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
	they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"