SC - Re: A question of re-creation

BalthazarBlack at aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 12:21:59 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/28/00 9:41:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

>  one woman (who is not a painter that I know of) came through,
>  looked at it, and then asked if I had used period paints. Well, no, I
>  hadn't, and I told her so. She wanted to know why- and my answer was? A)
>  many period pigments are difficult to get BECAUSE THEY'RE POISONOUS! B)
>  I was working in an enclosed space (very small apt) and didn't need the
>  haz mat team visiting me, and C) three children were sharing this
>  enclosed space with me...
>
>  She sniffed and said "Well, I guess we all make our compromises."

I wonder if it is difficult to breath with your head up your bottom...

THAT's what really gets my goat... uninformed "experts".  Did you ask this
woman if SHE knew how to make period pigments and paints?  How many of her
loved ones became sick or died due to the close proximity or handling of
these (sometimes) VERY toxic ingredients?  I'm experimenting with the same
stuff right now, and I can tell you from experience, there are a few "period"
paints and pigments which I simply WILL NOT use, regardless of whether or not
it will make the item more authentic.  Copper, for instance... I don't know
about you, but inhaling arsenic gas while hunched over a scribbling table
just isn't my cuppa...  Maybe the "expert" should try it a few times...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.