SC - I'm not proud....HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 30 16:11:01 PDT 2000

Black Jade wrote:

> Ok,
>
> Heres what I know.
>
> Our Baroness was only recently (in the general scheme of things)  informed
> that she had Coleiac.  As a result, things are pretty sketchy as to what
> she can and can't eat.  She has stated that she hates all gluten free
> breads cuase they 'don't taste right'  She's pretty much substituted that
> with rice cakes (Those horrible health things that look and taste like
> packing polestyrene)

A better alternative for the event might be these; this is the
Fettiplace recipe I mentioned earlier (yesterday???)

"A FRENCH DISH

" Blanche almonds in cold water, then beat them verie smale, then take
boyled rice, & beat them together with sugar, and rosewater, then mould
them in flower like flat cakes, then frie them in butter & then put
sugar on them, and serve them."

Spurling's notes, or rather, some of them:

"For 4 oz. ground almonds and 4 oz. boiled rice, you will need 2
tablespoons rosewater and 1 or 2 rounded teaspoons of sugar, which makes
a paste easily shaped into small flat cakes for frying. I like these
cakes the plainer the better so as to increase the contrast of sweetness
and texture under a thick strewing of sugar at table. They are better
still served with one of Kenelm Digby's frothy little sauces, made from
sherry, sugar and butter beaten up in the pan as soon as you have
finished cooking the last batch of cakes."

In short, rice and almond latkes. Sort of...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com