SC - I'm not proud....HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Jul 30 16:26:07 PDT 2000

Min,

>Ok,
>
>Heres what I know.
>
>Our Baroness was only recently (in the general scheme of things)  informed
>that she had Coleiac.  As a result, things are pretty sketchy as to what
>she can and can't eat.  She has stated that she hates all gluten free
>breads cuase they 'don't taste right'  She's pretty much substituted that
>with rice cakes (Those horrible health things that look and taste like
>packing polestyrene)
>She has stated that she doesn't mind not being catered for too much,
>provided there is enough fruit and cheese to sate her appetite.  This is
>about all she's willing to impart, So I'm not working on much information
>here.

Ok, try some basic Gluten free pastry (Mel can get the recipe) and trial it on
her before an event (Say at A&S night).  If she digs it, then do a single pie
in gluten-free pastry for each event.

If you can get your hands on a wafer iron, I have a great "coeliac friendly"
saffron wafer recipe.

>I however, since my only niche in the Society is cookery, would prefer to
>see this as a challenge....To be able to hold this feast, in all it's
>splendour, and have the Baroness to be able to eat most of the feast like
>she used to be able to do.  If I can't in concience feed her the oatcakes,
>because the probability of the oats causeing problems, I'd like to be able
>to say that at least I was able to provide her with.........whatever comes
>to hand.  For the rest of the populace I will feed them their oatcakes and
>such.

I find it almost mandatory these days to produce gluten and/or milk free
pastries these days.  More and more people are being intolerant to those
products.

>Call it a personal project if you will, since all the gluten free dishes
>will be financed out of my own pocket and not eat into the feast budget.

That's noble but probably unnecessary.  You'll be (no doubt) making the pastry
from scratch, and the ingredients for pastry for 1 pie would probably not
exceed $1 - $1.50.

However, your Baroness should cultivate a friendship with a good baker.  The
baker around from the corner not only wins Australian awards for his meat pies
(The Steak and Guinness pies are to die for) but prides himself in good quality
gluten free bread that I actually prefer eating to other breads.  His range
includes Cobs; Spinach & cheese, and Ham, Veg, & Cheese Pullaparts; fruit loaf;
hot cross buns and other goodies.  She could bring the bread herself perhaps?

>In service to THE DREAM, and not the reality of unfortunate situations when
>it comes to feasts.
>-A'adeema

Nyahh,  we can feed anybody.  However, rumour has it that there was a person in
my barony (Thankfully before my time) who ate nothing (and literally nothing)
by Wheatbix, Vegemite, & Coke.  That would have been a challenge.

Cheers,

Drake.