SC - Root Veggie Storage at War

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 30 20:30:39 PDT 2000

Brangwayna Morgan asked:
> My garden has cooperated and is presenting me with carrots, parsnips, and
> leeks just in time for War.  What would be the best method to transport and
> store these?  Do I leave the tops on the carrots and parsnips or cut them
> off?  I assume they won't last past the first week of War, but that's not a
> problem.

Well, you could chop the roots up and make compost (compote) with them. Then
you could simply transport them to the War in the jug you make it in. If
you do that, they should last months. That is, if they aren't all gobbled
up first. With the instructions to ingest more salt because of the heat
at the War, pickled food items might be good for this.

There are a number of compost recipes in this file in the FOOD section
of my files:
pickled-food-msg (118K)  5/23/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.

There are also some more recipes in this file in the FOOD-VEGETABLES
section but I don't know how much there is on keeping them fresh.
root-veg-msg     (134K)  6/ 8/00    Medieval and period root vegetables.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net