SC - The Madrone Culinary Guild

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jul 30 20:57:28 PDT 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie, former guild mistress of the Madrone Culinary Guild

we are asked:
>> I just picked up a copy of a book, (actually it is more of a large
pamphlet)
>> entitled "The Beste of the Lotte."
>>
>> It was put together by the Madrone Culinary Guild in Seattle, Wa.  On the
>> inside it says copywrite 1979  Culinary Guild of the Barony of Madrone.
>>
>> Is this group part of the SCA? Has anyone heard of this book, and if so
have
>> any opinions on it?

and Adamantius sez.....
>The Barony of Madrone is, IIRC, the City of Seattle and environs, in the
>Kingdom of An Tir. We have some current members of the Guild here on the
>cooks' list (they have their own list, too, and apart from a lot of
>guild-specific content on activities taking place thousands of miles
>away from me ;  (, a very sensible list it is, too!).

hey man, who's fault is that? :)

>I don't know what the Guild was like twenty years ago, but I wouldn't be
>surprised to find they were as conscientious and enthusiastic then as
>they are now.

Well, that's very nice of you, but, actually, 20 years ago the guild didnt
have nearly the access to info or experience it does now with period
cooking. "Best of the Lotte" is a great book, especially from a historical
perspective. It has lots of great recipes from the guilds early days, few
of which were actually documentable, and a few are blatently modern (like
the really yummy mousakka recipe). That change in focus combined with
certain copyright problems (ahem :)) means that we wont be reprinting "Best
of the Lotte", or its companion volume "Cure for the Bite of a Mad Dog".
Still, you got a great piece of culinary history there! :).

We also sell a number of pamphlets on various medieval cuisines, etc. These
are our "Feudal Gourmet" series. Each covers a different cuisine, and cites
primary sources. etc. You can get them for a couple bucks a piece from
various booksellers in An Tir, or from our Pamphlet Wrangler, Eden at
raghead at liripipe.com.

thanks!
- --Anne-Marie