SC - Kid Slaughtering age

phlip at morganco.net phlip at morganco.net
Mon Jul 31 07:06:01 PDT 2000

Well, it really depends on how tender you want it to be vs how much
meat you want. Milk fed, ie before it goes on grass or other solid
feed is the tenderest- that's about up to the first month. It also has
the least flavor.

They're usually pretty good up until the 6th month, at which point the
males start developing/dropping their testicles, which is what gives
them the strong flavor, despite the basic tenderness.

My suggestion would be to get a wether (neutered male) at about 6-9
months of age, for the best combination of flavor, tenderness, and
size.

Phlip

grizly at mindspring.com wrote:
> Can someone here tell me the appropriate age to slaughter a kid?  I
want to find an animal that is still young and milder tasting than an
old nanny or Billy.  I have located a source locally for yearlings and
new birth this year.  I'm gathering info about slaughtering and ages
and the like.  I'm going to avoid wielding the knife myself since the
aprtment managers would frown on it.

> niccolo

Cooks".