SC - Honey question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 2 10:19:45 PDT 2000

WyteRayven at aol.com wrote:

> I have a mead recipe that I am trying to make, and I have a question
> regarding the quantity of honey to use.
>
> The recipe calls for a quart of honey, but here honey is sold by the pound.
> How much honey would it take to equal a quart?  Do I just measure it like any
> other liquid? I am guessing that this would be more than three pounds of
> honey which seems a lot for a one gallon batch of mead.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ilia

A U.S. gallon of honey, or four quarts, weighs approximately twelve
pounds, IIRC, which makes it roughly 1.5 times as dense as water. A
quart of honey is about three pounds, which isn't really that much if
you use the right yeast. It produces a slightly heavy mead, but not
ridiculous; probably something the gravity/mouth feel of a tawny port.
The best mead brewer I know routinely uses fifteen pounds for a
five-gallon batch, and the only caveat I can add is that you _will_ need
to age this stuff for six months or so, at least, for a really good product.

Adamantius, beer drinker and friend of mead snobs
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com