SC - Cressee webbed

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Mon Jul 3 23:03:12 PDT 2000

From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
> I think most of our yellow cheeses are artifically colored or at least
> intentionally colored. Anyone out there who has actually made cheese
> have any comments?

It has been my experience that most fresh cheese I've made is a creamy
off-white shade.  I have read that the higher the butterfat content of the
milk (ie. from Jerseys or Guernseys for example) produce a pale creamy
yellow cheese.  The fresh milk I got from a herd of Holsteins (give more
milk but lower butterfat content) made an off-white cheese with just a hint
of yellow to it.  The longer I aged it, the darker it got (I'm assuming the
loss of moisture had something to do with it).  Using pasturized milk (all I
have available to me now), I get the off-white cheese.

Raoghnailt
Stan Wyrm, Artemisia
Veritas praevalebit
rygbee at montana.com