SC - Roast beef

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Jul 4 07:57:19 PDT 2000

Cindy writes:
> I followed Thomas Austin's notes on this one.
>
> He says in the index/glossary (p. 120):
>
> ' Aloes de Roo, 61; Allowes de Mutton, 83; Alows de Beef or de
> Motoun, 40; Alowys, 3. See Warner, p. 74, "Alaunder of moton" and "of
beef";  Napier, p. 29, "Alander de moton," p. 30, "Alander de beeff."
Cotgr., "Aloyau de boeuf. A short rib of beefe, or the fleshie end of the
rib, diuided
> from the rest, and rosted." Compare a mutton chop. '

	So, I'm going back to my theory that we're talking about the loin here,
- - 'the fleshie end of the rib, divided from the rest and roasted'.  As it
is a dryer cut (tender, but not as marbled as other hunks of meat), it
would follow that a suet-based rub would be useful for keeping it moist
during the roasting process.  One can easily cut it into various shapes
that could be roasted as a whole piece or rolled and spitted like a
rouladen.

> "Alander de beeff
> To mak alander de bef, take the clodde of beef

>I recall beef clod being used in modern butcher's terminology, but
beyond the fact that it is a moist-heat cut suitable for stewing (I seem
to recall turning 35 pounds of it into gulyas once...) I can't remember
exactly where, on the animal, it lives. I'll see if I can find out.

	In a flyer I have from the National Live Stock and Meat Board, they have
a cut from the front called the "shoulder clod roast" that looks like it
comes from the chuck.  Another piece of literature I have from the Delft
Blue Fancy Veal folks describes clod thusly: " Boneless clod roast.
Remove the entire clod from the shoulder by inserting the knife along the
arm bone and cutting straight back over the knuckle along the blade bone,
and through o the chuck side of the shoulder.  Remove the clod from the
surface of the blade and separate from the rest of the shoulder.  Remove
the heavy piece of nerve from the clod.  Jet net or tie to merchandise as
a boneless clod roast."

	So, it looks like we have a recipe that can be used with various cuts of
meat, including shoulder, ribs, loin, and butt, or perhaps a recipe that
has been used over the centuries by various authors for varying cuts of
meat.
	Christianna