SC - Re: Roast beef kinda long- explanation

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Jul 6 16:58:12 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/6/00 2:03:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Stefan li Rous
<stefan at texas.net> writes:

>  Subject: Re: Subject: SC - Roast beef kinda long
>
>  Hauviette posted her redaction of a recipe. As it was rather long and
>  my questions are more on technique, I snipped the original recipe info.
>
>  > Redacted recipe:
>  > 2lb Blade roast sliced into rolls       .25 lb butter
>  > 2 c tyme                    .5 c raisins
>  > 2c parsley washed, chopped small        .5 tsp mace
>  > 1c shredded onion           .25 tsp cinnamon
>  > 2 raw eggs              .25 tsp saffron
>  >                     .25 tsp salt
>  > Sauce:
>  > 1 cup red wine
>  > 2 tsp sugar
>  > 1 tsp cinnamon
>  >
>  > Combine the stuffing ingredients and fill the roast. Tie the roast into
>  > roll. Place the roll into an oven-proof dish . Mix the sauce and pour
over

>  > the roast. Roast at 325 degrees for 1 hr or until meat thermometer
reaches

>  > 140 degrees. Baste occasionally. Slice and serve.This recipe has been
> adapted
>  > for a feast by using larger roasts, however, the original recipe calls
for
>  > smaller steak, stuffed and baked within a pastry pie crust.
>
>  > 2lb Blade roast sliced into rolls
>  What does this mean? Most roasts I can think of are more or less brick
>  shaped and are not flat. Does this mean get a roast that is sliced
>  fairly flat? If so, how thick? What do you mean "sliced into rolls"?
>  Shaped like biscuits or dinner rolls? Or sliced flat for rolling into a
>  snail/spiral shape?
>
>  How do you fill this roast? Do you slice the slices and inject it there?
>  Or do you mean between two slices and roll them up in the snail shape?
>
>  Do you place this snail shape lying on it's side or upright? I assume
>  the former since that would absorb/keep the sauce on top better.
>
>  Thanks.
>    Stefan (Often still a beginner cook).

I'm sorry Stefan! The recipe I posted was from a feast I did and I really
hadn't thought about the person reading the instructions!

Here is my explanation,

I had very large roasts to begin with (I forget the particular cut) so I used
a knife to open them by cutting in a few inches into the roast, then letting
that fall open and continuing to cut so that I was creating a semi flat piece
of meat in the end. I think this is called "flaying".

Then I layed the the stuffing on the flayed meat and rolled the whole product
so that it was kind of like a pinwheel. I tied it with butchers string and
roasted it. Once it was roasted I cut slices of the roast across the roast so
that you had a "jelly roll slice".

Hope that helps.

Hauviette