SC - Re: Ginestada

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Mon Jul 10 16:55:31 PDT 2000

I just bought Scully's new "Cuoco Napoletano" and have started to thumb
through it.  It contains a similar recipe to that from the "Libro de
Guisados."  Genestra is the Italian word for Spanish Broom. Scully dates
the "Cuco Napoletano" to mid-15th cen., so this recipe is theoretically
"older" than the "Libro de Guisados" version, but they're pretty
similar.  It shows there was a flow of cooking information across
countries.  Too bad we have no way of knowing how many additional
manuscripts have been lost to antiquity.

John le Burguillun

39.  White Genestrata (Scully Translation)

Get almonds, peel them and grind them up thoroughly and, when ground,
strain them; put them in a pot with sufficient sugar; then make rice
flour and mix it with the almond milk and set it to cook, stirring
constantly; when it begins to thicken, add in dates and pinenuts and
cook them; when you see it thickening, take it off the fire and set it
on some warm cinders; then dish it up, putting sugar, rosewater and
cinnamon on top.