SC - Period steamed buns

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jul 11 08:41:47 PDT 2000

- --------------E4C3873CD89D2D2BCCBE5EDF

Oh, I forgot to give you all the source:  it is from the translation of "A Soup
for the Qan" (chuan 1, # 93, p. 317), and is also documented in an article,
"Mongol Empire and Turkicization:  The Evidence of Food and Foodways" by Paul
Buell.  The origin of the recipe is the imperial dietary manual Yin-shan
cheng-yao (Good and Essential Things for the Emperor's Food and Drink) by Hu
Szu-hui, in 1330.

Kiri

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I'd love to have your recipe for steamed buns  (ohhh , I feel a pun coming
> on!!)  I'd love for you to share your period bun recipe
> Thanks
> Phillipa
>
> <<
>  I'm not a bread maker as such...that job is ably handled by my lord!
> However, I
>  would also add that the Chinese/Mongols/etc. did frequently steam bread.  I
> do
>  have at least one period recipe for this...a kind of steamed bun.
>
>  Kiri >>

- --------------E4C3873CD89D2D2BCCBE5EDF

Oh, I forgot to give you all the source:  it is from the translation
of "A Soup for the Qan" (<i>chuan </i>1, # 93, p. 317), and is also documented
in an article, "Mongol Empire and Turkicization:  The Evidence of
Food and Foodways" by Paul Buell.  The origin of the recipe is the
imperial dietary manual <i>Yin-shan cheng-yao</i> (Good and Essential Things
for the Emperor's Food and Drink) by Hu Szu-hui, in 1330.
(ohhh , I feel a pun coming
lord!
bread.  I
bun.