SC - Fried chicken?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 12 06:56:30 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> There was a recipe for "fried" chicken in Apicius that we discussed
> here for quite a while. There are several others in other manuscripts.
> It may depend on your definition of "Fried Chicken". Do you consider
> just frying it in oil to count? Or do you want a recipe that rolls
> the chicken pieces in flour or breadcrumbs first and then fries it
> in the oil?

Pullum Frontonianum, a.k.a. Chicken A La Fronto, seems to be braised "au
brun" (nothing like a little needless French jargon early in the
morning, right, Stefan???). Yes, it's browned in oil, but then the
cooking is finished in a mixture of liquamen and oil, presumably over
low heat. In other words, more of a brown stew.

I'm pretty sure all of the later fried chicken recipes (at least the
period ones) that I've seen are for things like fricassees, which may or
may not require frying the chicken first, but end up serving the stuff
in a rich sauce, usually involving wine and/or vinegar or verjuice, and
a thickening of egg yolk.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy