SC - Re: Feast Bids

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 12 19:32:55 PDT 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<<> In a message dated 7/11/00 11:20:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rispoli at gte.net writes:
Location, please. :-)
Ras >>>>>

This isn't the one I wante dot reply to, but I deleted that one :o(  Here in the Atlanta area (Barony of the South Downs) we have an incredible mixed blessing.  We have about 10 talented and motivated cook types who want to prepare feasts for our events.  That doesn't count about 3 new comers that are growing up to be eventual head cooks.  Our barony hosts on the order of 4 calendar events each year.  If you count the odd step in cook with a new idea, that means that on average . . . once every three years will one get to run the show.

The process here is that an autocrat and head cook get together to pitch an event bid to the group.  some events have one bid, some have three or rarely four.  Then, the Baron/ess and seneschale picked the one they thought best.  The last two bids have been at the popular vote of the assembled business meeting.  So, if you hitch your wagon to the "wrong horse" you wait till the next lottery.  We are a generous bunch who work together a lot in kitchens, so no one is a stray step-child in these things.  I've been up to my elbows in work, just not the guy on the bottom line in the flyers.

It has been extremely motivating.  It is pushing me to find new venues and audiences for my craft and talents.  Also it is leading me to doing more collaberation, teaching, and ergo learning while not in the lead role.

niccolo difrancesco