SC - Sauces query

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 12 19:39:55 PDT 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Part of the menu for my upcoming park Lunch & tourney event will be cold meats.

So far I have two sauce recipes for them - Cereleun Blue sauce (from Redon's Medieval Kitchen) and a Green sauce (from Santich's Original Mediterranian Cookbook).

I need two others - preferrably a dark sauce (I was thinking a Pepper one) and one of a different colour  (I once tasted a sauce with main ingredients of Oranges & mace but can't find any recipes or paperwork one it - any ideas?? )>>>>

My personal belief is that no collection of sauces is comlete wothout a good, strong mustard sauce.  Platina's red Mustard has been discussed recently, and is a favorite of mine (I have 6 that I amke regularly).

Red Mustard
(On Good Health and Right Pleasure -- Platina translated by Milham)

Liber ovtavus, <14> :  Sinapeum Rubeum:	Sinapum, passalas, sandalos, buccellas, pinas tostas, cinnami parum, seorsum autsimul conterito, vel molito.  Trita cum acresta aut aceto cum-que modico sapae dissolvito, in patinasque per setaceum transagito.  Hoc minus praedicto concalefacit, ac sitim movet, nec incommode nutrit.

Book Eight, <14>  Red Mustard sauce:   Grind in mortar or mill, either separately or all together, mustard, raisins, dates, toasted bread, and a little cinnamon.  When it is ground, soak with verjuice or  vinegar and a bit of must, and pass through a sieve into serving dishes.  This heats less than the one above and stimulates the thirst but does not nourish badly.

niccolo's Red Mustard (Makes about 1 ½ cups prepared mustard sauce.)

½ cup mustard flour (yellow)		4 large pitted dates
¾ c. cider vinegar				1 slice toasted bread
¼ c. white grape juice			¼ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbl zante raisins			¼ tsp salt (to taste)

Combine the two liquids and stir; set aside. In mortar or food processor grind mustard flour, bread, raisins, dates and cinnamon until fine.  You may need to add a little of the liquid to loosen it.  When ground, turn out into the mustard in large mixing bowl and add salt and add ¾ of the liquid.  Stir with a spoon or whisk until smooth.  Pass this mixture entirely through a fine mesh sieve.  This will make a very smooth paste and remove fibrous material left from raisins and dates.  Let stand covered overnight.  Stir in more vinegar/juice liquid to desired consistency.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco