SC - Re: Fried Chicken recipes

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 05:05:14 PDT 2000

I was debating with myself (a rather boring exercise) as to whether or not I
have posted this recipe  on the list. It is from Platina and actually calls
for wild meat (fowl or otherwise) or capon. I had chosen to use chicken, but
substitute as you will,

Roast Chicken
(P)Make a roast from whatever meat you want this way; if it is old, when it
has boiled a while, take it out of the pot and lard it, and have it turned
over the fire until it is well cooked, but if it is tender,like veal and kid
cook it without boiling the same way as above. Wash in boiling water capons,
pheasants, kid partridges and whatever wild meat requires roasting, well
plucked and dressed. After they are rinsed and garnished to stimulate
appetite with fragrant herbs, pepper, and finely chopped lard, have them
cooked on a hearth on a slow fire, but when you see theat they are nearly
cooked, sprinkle salt with bread crumbs all over them, after the fire has
been increased more than before and the spit turned with a faster turning
hand. Then take the meat off at once, let the steam go away, and serve to
your guests.

Recipe
4 deboned chicken breasts* ( bones used for stock for risotto)

Combine .5 cup lard,
Rub chicken with lard, then sprinkle with
 1/8 cup rosemary, 1/8 cup thyme, 1/8 cup oregano finely chopped

Roast 350 degrees 10-15 minutes.

Combine1 cups toasted bread crumbs, 1.5 tsp salt and sprinkle over almost
cooked chicken. Increase heat to 400 degrees and crisp the chicken for about
10 minutes.

Allow to cool and serve.

* This choice was to accomodate the cooking conditions. The feast will be
served at the Pennsic War, for 30 with a relatively primitive kitchen. I felt
pre-portioned breast meat would ease serving, portion control
and would be reasonable in price compared to capon. I would be more inclined
to use capon for a private feast prepared in a better kitchen for fewer
people.