SC - Sauces query - non-member submission

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jul 13 08:40:58 PDT 2000

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 12-Jul-100 Re: SC - Sauces
query by grizly at mindspring.com
> I need two others - preferrably a dark sauce (I was thinking a Pepper
one) and o
> ne of a different colour  (I once tasted a sauce with main ingredients

of Orange
> s & mace but can't find any recipes or paperwork one it - any ideas??
)>>>>

I would highly recommend the Garlic Walnut sauce (the more highly
colored one) from Platina.  Here's my redaction of it:

1/3 cup coursely ground walnuts (and yes, almonds are also very nice)
1/6 cup bread crumbs
5 cloves garlic
1/3 - 1/2 cup strong grape juice (should actually be wine juice, but
I've used frozen concord diluted 1/1 instead of 1/3)

Grind walnuts in food processor to almost desired consistency.  Add
garlic and mix some more.  Moisten bread crumbs throughly in some of the

liquid and add to walnut/garlic mixture.  Add more juice until sauce is
desired consistency.

The Mallenckrodt translation goes thus:

Prepare this in the same way as above (To almonds or walnuts that have
been coursely ground, add as much cleaned garlic as you want and
likewise, as need be, grind them up well, sprinkling them all the while
so that they do not make oil.  When they are ground up, put in white
bread crumbs softened in juice of meat or fish, and grind again.  Andd
if all seems too stiff, it can be softened easily in the same juice),
but I do not moisten it in water or juice, but in must of dark grapes,
squeezed by hand and cooked down for half an hour.  The same can be done

with juice of cherries.

toodles, margaret