SC - Sauces query

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 13 22:42:27 PDT 2000

Mari asked:
> Part of the menu for my upcoming park Lunch & tourney event will be cold
> meats.
>
> So far I have two sauce recipes for them - Cereleun Blue sauce (from Redon's
> Medieval Kitchen) and a Green sauce (from Santich's Original Mediterranian
> Cookbook).
>
> I need two others - preferrably a dark sauce (I was thinking a Pepper one)
> and one of a different colour  (I once tasted a sauce with main ingredients
> of Oranges & mace but can't find any recipes or paperwork one it - any
> ideas?? )

Take a look at some of the recipes given in this file in the
FOOD-CONDIMENTS section of the Florilegium:
sauces-msg        (80K)  2/ 2/00    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.

I made a sauce with Seville oranges for the Crown Luncheon that I did and
I believe that recipes was from this file. I can't remember if it had
mace in it or not, though.

What about a mustard sauce? There are a wide variety of medieval mustard
sauces and mustards are often good on a variety of meats. They taste a
lot better than that bright yellow ballpark mustard stuff.
mustard-msg       (71K)  5/12/00    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.

I remember us discussing some cold meat dishes at one time. I saved some
messages but haven't created a file with them. If you wish, i'll send
you those messages or finish creating the file and add it to the Florilegium.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net