SC - Calaphon pots & pans

BalthazarBlack at aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Sun Jul 16 15:41:01 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/16/00 11:18:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tsersen at nni.com
writes:

> (side-hote: Balthazar, Calphalon IS aluminum.  Some of it is also
>  non-stick, but it is all anodized aluminum.)

Right.  I should have clarified myself by saying "regular aluminum", meaning
the non-anodized, run of the mill stuff.

>  Following that point, also keep in mind that you're not supposed to make
>  acidic things like tomato sauce in aluminum.  I don't know why - I've
>  forgotten and used my Calphalon for heating up spaghetti sauce, and it
>  didn't seem to make a difference to the sauce or to the pot.  I s'pose
>  it's that Altzheimer's thing.  (What was I writing about, again?)

Acidic products will pit and degrade aluminum.  Ever notice when you place
aluminum foil over a lasagne, it gets those tiny, gray holes all over it?
That's acid eating away the metal.  You can cook acidic ingredients in
aluminum, but you shouldn't store them in it, or let them sit in it too long.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.