SC - Turnip Pudding (Russian)

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 17 08:20:18 PDT 2000

Need some advice here, please.  My experimental ten cent package of expired
turnip seeds has taken over the garden and I have plenty of turnips to play
with.  I have selected a recipe out of the Domostroi (from the
just-out-of-period section) to try to unfold/redact/screw up.  Recipe
follows, along with my questions.

(Pouncy: 198)  Baked turnip pudding.  Take a turnip in good condition and
cut it into thin slices.  Thread them on a line so that the slices do not
touch one another as they dry, and hang them in the sun or in a warm oven
where bread has just been baked.  They should not be watery; let them dry
out well.  Mash the dried slices and push the puree through a sieve.  Put
the turnip puree in a clay pot.

[my questions:  It appears that the turnips are being dried-out just enough
to make them not-so-watery.  They are turned into puree, so there has to be
some moisture left over.  I assume that the aforementioned oven would
likely be fired every day, so that means that the turnips are not dried for
too long, perhaps only one day.  So far so good?]

Take clear, light-colored honey (make sure it has not fermented) and boil
it, skimming off any foam.  Pour the boiled honey into the turnip puree--as
much honey as you have puree.  Add nutmeg, cloves, pepper, and saffron in
such measure that no one spice dominates, nor is it overspiced.  Seal the
clay pot with dough and steam it in the oven for two days and two nights.
Then it will be good to eat.  But if it is too liquid, add more turnip
puree.  It should be the texture of a lump of caviar.

[I am happy to see relative measurements, that is very helpful.  However,
the baking instructions are tougher.  I don't know if the pot is glazed or
unglazed, and whether or not it has a lid.  I will try a glazed ceramic pot
with a lid, which I will seal on with a flour-water paste, but how long
should I bake it?  I really don't want to leave my oven on for two days at
whatever temperature.  It seems that the "steaming" comes from the moisture
that is already in the pudding, so I doubt that I have to add any extra
moisture to cook it properly, although I will take careful note of the
results.  Any ideas for a modern equivalent of such a long baking time?
Time, temp and method would be helpful.  I am also impressed that this
appears to be a family-sized recipe.  Turnips can get fairly big, but the
recipe only calls for one turnip.  Does this mean that "dessert", if this
is what it is intended for,  was meant to only be a small portion of food?]

Looking forward to hearing various ideas,
- --Yana