SC - Re: Bread making Platina style (long)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 18:11:17 PDT 2000

- --- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> Lets talk a little bit about what is happening when
> you make a starter.

This is a wonderful explanation.  Thank you for taking
the time to explain it all.

> Unpasturized ales and beers contain Saccharomyces
> cerevisiae and
> Saccharomyces carlbergensis.  Adding these to a
> sourdough, is like adding
> dry active yeast.  In fact, baker's yeast is a
> variety of S. cerevisiae.
> Over time, they don't stand up well to the high acid
> environment of a
> sourdough starter.  If you use them, don't
> adulterate your starter with
> them, add a proofing step to increase your starter,
> recover a couple cups of
> starter from the dough, then add your adulterants.

I have a question about this.  I usually make a
sourdough rye bread with beer, as part of the starter
and not as an adulterant.  If I am lucky and someone
gives me some unpasturized flat beer, I will use one
half cup of beer to one cup of rye flour.  However, if
I have none, then I have used flat commercial beer
very successfully, but the starter obviously takes
longer to sour [about four days].  Why do you say that
that the beer yeasts don't stand up to the acid
environment?  Or do you mean that if you kept some of
the starter for future use that it wouldn't last?  I
usually make fresh starter for each batch.  I had once
kept some starter in the refrigerator for a couple of
months before using it again and it had turned all
moldy and nasty, so I usually make my starter fresh
each time and use is all up, rather than keep any left
over.

Huette