SC - Aluminum and other metal pans

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Jul 17 22:23:58 PDT 2000

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Joan Nicholson wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, has anyone done a study on the effects of consumed
> Teflon on the body?

Looking at Medline I found only one article that even begun to adress
your question:

Brun JL. Bordenave L. Lefebvre F. Bareille R. Barbie C. Rouais F. Baquey
CH.  "Physical and biological characteristics of the main biomaterials
used in pelvic surgery." Bio-Medical Materials & Engineering.
2(4):203-25, 1992 Winter.

"Our study compared mechanical and biological properties of four
materials classically used in surgery: polyethylene terephtalate
(Mersilene), polypropylene (Marlex), polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon)
and expanded one (Gore-Tex) and polyaramide (Kevlar). [...] None of the
material extracts listed above were cytotoxic except for untreated
Kevlar."

Knowing how inert Teflon is I was not surprised to find that there was
no evidence of toxicity. There was some dealing with Al release from
pots (very little for teflon coated cookware) and similar topics. Teflon
really appears to be harmless and inert.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
`HELO. My $name is sendmail.cf. Prepare to vi.'