SC - Re: Bread making Platina style (long)

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Jul 18 07:03:37 PDT 2000

> >  So...whole
> > wheat would be better for sourdough also??

> Not necessarily, although it might be more correct historically.

Listen to Bear, he has forgotten more about baking than I know
about Brewing!!

It is entirely probable (infact even likely) that enough Amylase
exists in the cells of the endosperm, and the dust from milling
and boulting the flour, to generate the relatively small amounts
of sugar necessary to add lift to bread.

After all, converting all starch to sugar is not needed, and even
undesireable in breadmaking, but rather necessary to brewing.

The yeast also has a variety of digestive enzymes which break
down starches and other polysaccharides into simple sugar, but
it is a LOT of work for the yeast, especially at lower than 'blood
warm' temps (which hinder the enzymatic action). At some point
there is a "point of diminshing return", and not enough energy is
available from the broken down starches to fuel the breaking
down of more starches. A starch is typically hugely complex
and requires a lot more energy to digest than simpler
polysaccharides like Sucrose.

It should be OK to use white flour to make the starter.
If the flour seems slow to start, adding a pinch of fresh
wheat germ to the starter to get the starter established would
help, I think, and it would only require a 1/4 tsp or so.
The amylase in the germ would be more than sufficient
to the purpose.
( If you are buying wheat germ, try to get "fresh" or "live", as
heat treating and other processing steps will denature the
amylase, and render it useless. If the stuff required refrigerating,
it is probably ok for this purpose )

Of course, you could add the amylase the way certain primitive
societies do in making beer, like South American "Chicha" beer...
(But I doubt that your family will be particularly drawn to bread that
you prepared by chewing some of the ingredients and spitting
into the bowl  ;-)

> Whole grain is not particularly critical to breadmaking, where it and malted
> grain are very essential to Brandu's specialty of brewing.

Well, I hope to make it a specialty, and I aspire to be as good a
brewer as Bear is a baker, one of these years.

Brandu