SC - Re: Bread making Platina style (long)

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 18 07:06:38 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>  I've heard that bread yeasts
> don't do nice things in mead.

Talk to Sir Wilhelm, Stefan.  He only uses bread yeast, and his is simply
grand.  The flavor profile is different, and you have to age it longer, but the
end result is well worth the extra wait.  I used to brew while my roomie baked,
and I never had any problems with odd tasting alcohol.  My new apartment has
enough yeast floating around between the bread machine and my brewing that I
could start a wild batch of bread or mead.   Actually, I bought kiwis to make
wine, and then got busy with grad school, and yesterday I discovered that they
are fermenting inside their skins.  I've had fruit ferment on me before, but
never one that provided its own container.  (They are all puffed up like fruit
balloons from the carbon dioxide.)

- -Magdalena