SC - Re: Doable stuff for kids

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 08:01:53 PDT 2000

someone was looking for hands on recipes.Nuts were used in combination with
sweets such as sugar and honey in other ways as well. In a German recipe in
Daz  Buch  von Guter Spise (1345 to 1354) From an Original in the University
Library of Munich, Translation by Alia Atlas. Found in  A Collection of
Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, 7th Edition, almonds are ground and
blended with honey to make a tasty treat.

Original Recipe
Heidenische erweiz (Heathen (Saracen)Peas)

Wilt du machen behemmische erweiz. so nim mandel kern und stoz die gar
cleine. und mengez mit dritteil als vil honiges. und mit guten wurtzen wol
gemenget. so ers aller beste hat. die koste git man kalt oder warm.

How you want to make heathen peas. So take almond kernels and pound them very
small. And mix it with a third as much honey. And with good spices well
mixed. So it has the very best. One hands this out greedily, cold or warm.

Heathen Peas

4 cups whole almonds*
1 cup honey
2-3 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a food processor, coarse grind 3 cups of almonds. On a baking sheet, place
the almonds into a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes**.  Finely grind 1 cup of
the almonds and add to the roasted almonds. Mix in cinnamon.
Warm the honey and add to the almonds, stirring well.

Keeping a bowl of warm water near by (to rinse your hands occasionally), take
a generous pinch of the honey/nut mixture and roll into a 1 inch ball.
Continue until all of the mixture is used. Keeps well in a cool place, sealed
container. Makes approximately 90- 1 inch balls

* The original recipe calls for a 3 to 1 ratio of almonds to honey. In my
trials I have found that this results in a meal that is a little too loose to
roll properly. I have reduced the ratio to 4 to 1 and am much happier with
the end result. This effect could be accounted for in the original recipe as
the cook using approximations which might be off slightly.
**Although this recipe does not call for roasting the ground nuts at all, I
have found that this extra step eliminates the sometimes harsh taste of the
oil in the almonds. If  you feel you would like to stick to the letter of the
recipe, I would simply suggest you avoid that step.