SC - Feast for a King

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Jul 18 14:55:37 PDT 2000

> A friend sent me this site - I was pretty impressed until I got to the
> chocolate covered with gold dessert.....
> http://www.discoveringarchaeology.com/articles/071700-midas.shtml

The Smithsonian article was very odd. Looking at the articles on the
Museum's website about the dinner makes things a bit clearer-- we're
talking about a $100/plate fundraising dinner for the museum.

'"Our goal with the dinner is to offer our guests a real taste of what the
funerary feast guests at Gordion enjoyed," explained Pam Horowitz, "and
then more. Well be providing them with a rich sampling of the regional
variety of foods and spices available to King Midas and the people of his
kingdom 2700 years ago. Of course, by adding the additional foods, we are
balancing authenticity of the central entre as we now understand it, with
some creative culinary treats based on regional foods. It promises to be
an educational and delectable meal, fit for an ancient king or an
adventurous 21st century American diner."'

*twitch*

In other words, they are using the term "re-creating" in the same way that
the SCA as a whole uses "medieval re-creation" -- very loosely.

However, on their site there is a description of what they really DID
find:
http://www.museum.upenn.edu/Midas/intro.html

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"Scratch a lover and find a foe." -- Dorothy Parker