SC - Smithsonian dinner

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jul 19 11:03:29 PDT 2000

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:
> Don't people here ever give outsiders the benefit-of-the-doubt?
> I don't know... I guess it doesn't really matter either way.  Whether the
> guests know that chocolate was or was not present in medieval history isn't
> going to effect my personal life anyway.  It isn't going to change the size
> of my husband's paycheck, or how soon my 4 year old learns how to read, or
> what *I* serve for dinner on that night, so I guess it really doesn't
> matter what the professional chefs here on this list say about their
> Smithsonian feast either.  :)  God bless you!
> -Laurene

It _does_ matter- because-

We are an educational organization, after all, and many of the members
of SCA-Cooks are in particular devoted to educating the public about
food, preparation, cooking, etc. in our period. And while this has no
effect on your daily life, as you point out, it does concern us when
another Very Reputable educational organization appears to misrepresent
non-period foods or preparation as period. 'They should know better' is
the point. And if there weren't folks like us out there who bring up the
point, we'd still be waving our turkey legs around at Ye Olde Feaste.

'Lainie