SC - medival Paintings

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Wed Jul 19 11:05:49 PDT 2000

This posting just reminded me that I wanted to thank all of you here who
introduced me to the idea that one can learn what foods were served, what
clothes were worn, and what behaviors were practiced during Medival (and
other historical periods) times by the paintings that were created!!  I
have two DK books, one is A CHILDS BOOK OF ART, and the other is SISTER
WENDY'S 1000 MASTERPIECES both published by DK Publishing, that contain a
wealth of paintings (dated and artist cited) from Medival history!  There
is one "still life" of a bowl of fruit in the CHILDS... book that is so
well painted that you can tell the difference between the Quince and the
Peach and the Apple in the picture!  There are also grapes and
cherries.  It is excellent!

Thank you once again for directing me to this avenue of learning!
- -Laurene

At 12:09 AM 7/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:36:21 -0500
>From: "RANDALL DIAMOND" <ringofkings at mindspring.com>
>Subject: SC - More Turkeys
>
>I came across two more mid 16th century
>drawings this week that I had not seen before
>depicting obvious New World turkeys.  These are
>by the Flemish artist Peter Bruegel the Elder.  One is
>"Envy" in the famous 7 Deadly Sins series,  This was
>drawn in 1557 and the turkey is the central animal figure,
>apparently already well known as a symbol of "Envy" much
>as the peacock accompanies Pride in another.
>The other drawing is in "Fortitude" in the Seven Virtues
>drawings.  The turkey is being slain as one of the monsters
>of Sin. This drawing was also executed in 1557.  Just
>another example of evidence of the turkey being well
>known in most of Europe by the mid 16th century.
>
>Akim Yaroslavich
>"No glory comes without pain"

        COME SEE OUR WEB SITE!
           http://welcome.to/tinyzoo