SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2454

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Thu Jul 20 16:53:15 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/20/00 3:20:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> Re: A fennel question
>
>  It is probably a grocer's goof.  Fennel and anise are both members of the
>  carrot family, but they are different plants.
>
>  Anise is Pimpinella anisum.  Fennel is applied to several herbs mostly in
>  the genus Foeniculum, most commonly Foeniculum vulgare.
>
>  Bear
<<It was a goof up on the part of the grocer or the distributor or the
marketer-- anise does NOT form bulbous roots the way fennel does. What you
are seeing is fennel.>>

Thank you both. I should have gone to my herb books, where is my head. Well,
at least I know they carry fennel regularly. I was more concerned about
serving it and mislabelling it myself.

Hauviette