SC - Re: Fennel from Platina

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Jul 21 06:04:21 PDT 2000

People have asked for the recipe so here is my rendition. Please note that
Platina describes oil as having warming properties and salt drying ones. I
have considered also that he describes food to be eaten in the first course

(P)What should be eaten first
There is an order to be observed in taking food, since everything that moves
the bowels and whatever is of light and slight nourishment, like aples and
pears, is more safely and pleasantly eaten in the first course. I even add
lettuce and whatever is served with vinegar and oil, raw or cooked. Then
there are eggs, especially the soft-cooked kind, and certain sweets we call
bellaria, seasond with spices and ine nuts or honey or sugar. These are
served very appropriately to guests.

Recipe
Roasted Fennel- basted with olive oil, salt and fresh cracked pepper, roasted
on a fire if the weather permits, if not, then served raw, sliced very thin
with a light sprinkling of red wine vinegar.

(P) Book 3 # 18

Pliny calls fennel ferulaceum because it grows out of rods [feruli] just as
many others do. It has warm and dry force but yet is not simple, for its
taste reveals that bitterness is mixed in it. It has been said that snakes,
to which fennel is very pleasant, shed age upon eating this herb and lay
aside weakness of eyesight, which they contract by a long stay in
subterranean places, by rubbing their heads on fennel-stalks.

We use this vegetable both raw and cooked, not without reason, for it
generates good humors, helps the chest, and opens the clogged courses of
veins.

Hauviette