SC - Anise seeds -some toxic, some not!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 23 16:18:32 PDT 2000

Ron and Laurene Wells wrote:

> Only the seeds from that one species of anise are toxic.  The seeds from
> Star Anise are NOT toxic, and they are what we commonly use in
> cooking.  Sorry for not typing out ALL the species references so that you
> could see the difference.
>
> You can see it here on page 551.
> http://www.dk.com/us/shared/product_m_spread.asp?isbn=0789419432
>
> I didn't mean to confuse you.  I'm sorry.
>
> -Laurene

Okay, I've just got home from a weekend event and am probably only
semi-coherent, but you've got me confused. Star Anise I'm eminently
familiar with, and you say it isn't toxic, which doesn't surprise me.
The standard European, umbelliferous anise, with seeds resembling
caraway, fennel, and/or cumin in shape, these are toxic? If so, what
exactly do you mean by "toxic"? That they contain a deadly poison, or
that they contain some chemical component, which, if overingested, can
have adverse effects? I confess I've never eaten large quantities of
anise seeds of either type, but I think the FDA, or some agency like
that, would be interested to learn that the anise favored by, say, the
makers of anisette liquers and cookies, is toxic.

Perhaps you could provide a bit more info on this? I ask in part because
I'm planning to teach a class on anise confits, I don't want to poison anybody.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com