SC - Anise seeds -some toxic, some not!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 24 12:43:03 PDT 2000

BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/24/00 6:21:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> >  along the lines of saying nutmeg is a dangerous
> >  hallucinogen. It is, but... . On the other hand, if I've been
> >  misinformed all this time,  I'd certainly like to know that, too.
>
> Well, I think I can pretty much confirm the nutmeg myth for you!

No need to confirm (at least not to me) what isn't a myth!

>  We had to
> fire one of our cooks at a local Country Club for snorting the stuff by the
> handfull (which HAD to be painful).  I don't know the chemical in the nutmeg
> responsible for the effect, but apparently it's pretty potent stuff.

I seem to recall reading that overindulgence in nutmeg was one of the
things that contributed to the death of musician Charlie Parker. He had
apparently been eating them while in prison. However, the point is that
everyday usage, as in, the quantities used to flavor food, rather than
to replace it, don't have any harmful effect.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com