SC - Re: Sour Doh question!!!

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 18:25:39 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/24/00 11:09:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> Ron and Laurene Wells <tinyzoo at aracnet.com>
>  Subject: SC -
>
>  Alright, I'm sure some of you are exhausted by the discussion of sour
>  doh.  But the conversation inspired me to try that JUST flour and water
>  experiment to see if it would actually work!  I think it really
>  did!!!  It's all bubbly, and swelling anyway.  I have forgotten to feed it
>  at night both days (today is the third day), but fed it in the morning
>  every day.  And it seems to be doing SOMETHING.  My question though, is
>  what does this yeast and sugar free sour doh smell like?  It doesn't have
>  the yeasty smell I'm used to from making sourdoh in the past.  It smells
>  sour, but... strange too.  (I wish someone could come over and check it
for
>  me!!!)

Oh, I  haven't forgotten our discussions of sour dough, however, the sour
does not want to  happen in my house! I can't get the stuff to take! I fed it
like a nice would be bread maker, but it won't co-operate. I need to get some
real sourdough starter and begin that way. I apparently have no yeast in my
house.

I took what was there and froze it, hoping to add it to the starter I will
try to find and then have some of  my own. For Pennsic, I'm just going to buy
some sourdough bread from a good baker.

I am running out of time and patience and will renew my efforts after war.

Hauviette