SC - Aborticidal herbs-long

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 20:28:46 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/22/00 10:44:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:

<< Could someone tell me what herbs cause abortions? I know there is
 at least one, but I can't remember the name. I am putting on a small
 medieval feast for some friends and one of them is pregnant and I do not
 want to cause a miscarriage.

 Thanks,
 Korrin S. DaArdain >>

Rue (blocks, alters or interferes in the production of progesterone) is an
abortion causing agent although when used in the rather small quantities that
are necessary for cooking it is safe. No known cases of spontaneous abortion
can be found that are in anyway related to eating rue as a seasoning in food.
However, when used as a tea or in large amounts, it definitely will cause
spontaneous abortion as any midwife worth her salt can attest too. it is
still used today to produce commercial abortion pills used in the medical
field.

Since there is no known cases of abortion resulting from it's use as a
cooking herb, I really wouldn't worry about it. But if you are deeply
concerned simply avoid dishes that contain this herb.

Cloves and nutmeg supposedly are weak abortion agents also. Again no known
abortions have occurred from their use in cookery. And only studies of
animals fed massive amounts of these substances where used to 'prove' the
point.

Other herbs to avoid are:

Angelica (uterine stimulating)

Black Cohosh (uterine stimulating)

Blue Cohosh (stimulates uterine contractions)

Cotton Root Bark (blocks, alters or interferes in the production of
progesterone)

Evening Primrose (use in conjunction with other specific herbs listed top
stimulate blood flow for more success)

Ginger root (uterine stimulating)

Dried Ginger  (uterine stimulating)

Parsley (use in conjunction with other specific herbs listed top stimulate
blood flow for more success)

Pennyroyal (stimulates uterine contractions)

Unripe Pineapple (use in conjunction with other specific herbs listed top
stimulate blood flow for more success)

Tansy (stimulate uterine contractions)

Vitamin C (blocks, alters or interferes in the production of progesterone)

Queen Anne's Lace and Carrot seeds; and,  by extension carrots in general
(blocks, alters or interferes in the production of progesterone)

Black Pepper (use in conjunction with other specific herbs listed top
stimulate blood flow for more success)

Essential oils of any kind (all oils tested on animal subjects  tended to
cause spontaneous abortion at rates statistically significant)

The above herbs should never be used to stimulate spontaneous abortion after
the 9th week of pregnancy because the mother's life could be put in jeopardy.
 After that time clinical abortion should be sought if that is the choice of
the mother.

Combinations of the herbs listed above used frequently and in large amounts
are always more effective. Amounts used in culinary purposes have not been
shown to be in any way causative with regard to spontaneous abortion.

The above information should not be construed to indicate the writer's view
of the acceptance or nonacceptance of abortion in general but is given merely
for the purpose of education. Any use of this information for whatever
purposes is dependent on your personal views of women enslaved, religious and
ethical consideration and is not meant to convey my personal feelings on the
appropriateness or in appropriateness of the personal choices women have in
regard to their bodies.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/