SC - Pine nuts

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 25 09:56:06 PDT 2000

Joan Nicholson wrote:

> Speaking of pine nuts...
>
> Is there only one type or is the term a generic one for whatever kind
> that is available in a locale?  I've not used them in cooking, except
> for the local pinon nuts, so I'm curious.
>
> Prydwen
> gryphon at carlsbadnm.com

What I'm familiar with in my local ME market (normally where I buy
pignoles in bulk) are the expensive Spanish or Turkish ones, which are
pale, long, and slender, almost like shredded, blanched almonds, and the
cheaper Chinese ones, which are slightly shorter, thicker, and a bit
yellower in color, with the slightest suggestion that they may be more
difficult to shell than the Turkish or Spanish ones (they seem to have a
slightly higher, if still miniscule, percentage of papery husk attached
to their ends). I generally buy the Chinese ones anyway; normally
they're about 1/3 the price of the Spanish ones, per pound.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com