SC - Period fruit candy.

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 25 19:59:01 PDT 2000

Salut!
Dame Elys sent me the original and I played with it for a redaction.  I'll
have some at pennsic, but I don't know how long it will last... Yummy
stuff and we are trying the Apples tonight, Pears tomorrow and Peaches
later.  So the following is Dame Elys' email with my redaction after it.

Cu drag,
Bogdan
- ---

Greetings, again.  I found an earlier recipe in Dawson's _The
Second Part of the Good Hus-wives Jewell, 1597, which might
serve as a documentation for you for the later date fruit paste
recipe.  It is called "To make a condonak".  At the end he says
that one can also do the recipe with pears, peaches, damsons, and
other fruits.

"Take Quinces and pare them, take out the cores, and seeth them
in fair water until they break, then strain them trhough a fire
mingle it together in a vessel, and boile them on the fire alwaies
stirring it until it be sodden which you may berceive, for that it
will no longer cleave to the vessel, but you may stamp muske in powder,
you may also ad spice unto it, as Ginger, Sinamon, Cloves, and Nutmegges,
as much as you think meet, boyling the muske with a litle Vineger,
then with a broad slice of wood spread of this confection upon a table,
which must be first strewed with Suger, and there make what proportion
you wil, and set it in the sunne until it be drye, and when it hath
stood a while turn it upsidown, making alwayes a bed of Suger, both
under and avove, and turn them still, and drye them in the sunne
untill they have gotten a crust.  In like maner you may dresse Peares,
Peaches, Damsins, and other fruites."

Redactions:
For Plums:
take 16 plums, peel and halve them.  Put them in a pot with enough water
to cover.  Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the plums
break apart.  Strain off the water (keeping it for a drink), mash the
plums and return to the pot.  Add spices (we used 2T cinnamon).  Stir
constantly until bery thick.  Spoon on sugar covered wax paper. (This
didnt work well.  Spread on a marble slab with sugar and then transfer to
dehydrator).  Cover with sugar until it isnt tacky.  The sugar will
sweeten the tart mush and remove much water.  Then dehydrate.  Its yummy!!

Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_