SC - Edible weeds

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 25 20:21:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/21/00 5:17:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

<< We have another weed here in the South...although it may grow
elsewhere...called
 pokeberry.  I know that some of the older country folks make something called
 "poke salat" using the leaves, cooking it in much the same way that they cook
 other greens, such as mustard, turnip, kale, etc. >>

Poke leaves can be used when they are young. However, this plant is poisonous
so extreme caution is recommended. I am not aware that it is SCA period
though.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/