SC - toys for tot feast

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Wed Jul 26 10:35:35 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <AlviraMacD at aol.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: SC - toys for tot feast

> In a message dated 07/26/2000 10:54:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
> melcnewt at netins.net writes:
>
> 50 lbs of beef for a 100 person feast and the very cheesy bread on the
first
> remove, along with the salmon and possibly chicken loaf on the third
should
> do them very well.
Okay half a pound per person allowing shrinkage in cooking, about a quarter
to a third pound per person.    Sorry that should be enough.

> Also we are a small shire with small budgets, I have trouble justifying a
lot
> of meat, I've never seen evidence that everyday people ate a lot of meat,
> Same soap box I have for little squares of yellow cheese.

We are supposed to be reenacting the Gentry and Royally of the Middle Ages,
they would eat meat at tourneys, which is what we are recreating, I would
never want to eat a feast of everyday people food, from Period, Gruel, stale
bread, and the very occasional piece of fruit.

I understand the cost of the food issue, do you have a packing plant near
Jeff City?  If so call them and see what kind of deal you can get from them,
cheaper than going to the SuperMarkup Supermarket.
Also don't ask any Gov't employees that you might know there to get the
meat, they can't do it.
One of the First things Beatrix found out.

Also is there a Fishmonger in Jeff City or Columbia you could get the Salmon
from?    This would save you a bunch of cost, if you can get it direct.

Thorbjorn

- ---