SC - period fruit candy update

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 26 10:55:22 PDT 2000

Salut!
For those of you interested in the period fruit candy that I sent a
redaction for earlier.... a modification for the plums.

It turns out (no pun intended) that with the plums (and DEFINITELY THE
APPLES) that it is far better (post straining and mashing) to cook the
fruit mash down as much as possible and then transfer it to a sugared piee
of wax paper on a cookie sheet.  Then let it dry in the oven (pilot light)
for 24-36 hours.  At that point, resprinkle it with sugar, peel it up from
the wax paper and put it in the dehydrator (sugar side down).  Sprinkle it
with sugar, let it go over night, and then flip it in the morning.  It
should be done by tonight, so I'd say let it go another 12 hours after
flipping.

The apples we tried putting the mash on a sugared, cold, cutting board and
then transferring it to the dehydrator.  You don't her the nice sugar
crust like we did with the plums.  Ideally, dry it in the sun, it should
be amazing.  However, I live in a post-draintile swamp and cannot do so
here...  too humid.

Hope this helps someone.

Cu drag,
Bogdan

Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_