SC - Re: toys for tot feast

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 14:26:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/26/00 9:37:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
AlviraMacD at aol.com writes:

 >  Toys for Tots
>  Feast Menu
>
>  First Remove -      Onion Soup
>              Marinated cucumbers
>              Ruzzige Cake (think cheesy bread)
>              Cherries, and Pears compote
>
>  Second Remove -     Light Breads
>              Citrus Butters
>              Sliced beef in Swallenberg sauce
>              Peas and Carrots
>              A cake of Walnuts and honey
>
>  Third Remove -      Baked Salmon
>              Dark breads
>              Soft cheeses
>              Grilled gourd slices with yellow sauce
>              Apple

Looks good. As for using the grape juice as a substitute, I am convinced
after making the sapa from grape must that it is superior to standard "grape
juice" available in a grocery store. The ususual problem is quantity. If you
go to a vinting shop, and ask if they can reserve some juice from a batch, or
talk to your local brewers and vinters, they might be able to get you smaller
quantities. You'll need to do this well in advance because it may be some
time before the type of juice you want comes up. There is a great site that
talks about various grape varieties that originate from vitis vinifera (a
mother of grapes, so-to-speak). The site is

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/faculty/pool/vinfvar/Title.html

The site is the New York Wine and Grape Foundation.

The suggestion that quickly comes to mind is cabernet sauvignon, but there
are others depending on what you want. As for it being wine, is the issue the
level of alcohol? You could just start the fermentation process and use it
before it reaches 2% and it won't be considered alcohol (at least by the
standards of most governing bodies).

If the issue is just flavour, well, the juice may be your best and only
alternative to using Welch's Concorde Grape (Yuck, IMHO even though I've been
forced to use it as well.)

A question;
Will you be posting your recipes? :)

Hauviette