SC - Re: A question of re-creation

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 29 17:02:30 PDT 2000

'Lainie declared:
> Ok- gotta put in my two cents here-

And of course Stefan can resisting adding his, although I'm not sure
they're worth that much:

>  Once, years ago, I took some
> examples of some calligraphy and illumination that I was working on, and
> displayed it on a portable writing desk that was also part of the
> display, and took it to one of the so-called Laurel's Prize Tourneys.

I have one, rather small, file on period writing desks in the SCRIBAL
ARTS section of my files:
writing-desks-msg  (5K) 11/19/99    Period portable writing desks.

I would love to have either additional messages to add to this file or
a copy of your documentation and maybe pictures of your writing desk
to add to the Florilegium. A polished article would be better, but
often a lot of the A&S documentation gives a good overview and a list
of referances for those looking for more information.

> She sniffed and said "Well, I guess we all make our compromises."

Yes, and wouldn't having some of the fruits of your research out where
thousands of SCA (and non-SCA) folks can see it and make use of it to
create their own useable replicas help ease your frustration over such
uptight judges? Hauviette this applies to you and your comfits display
also. While I'd be tempted to quote the judge(s) with their name in an
appendix of the web version, for the sake of not scaring off useful
criticism in future A&S displays, I guess I wouldn't do that.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net