SC - Alcohol-again

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 30 23:36:49 PDT 2000

- --- BalthazarBlack at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
> writes:
>
> > This topic always generates debate when it comes
> up. It appears as if there
> >  are a number of people who erroneously think that
> 1/100 of a tsp. of
> > residual
> >  alcohol in a 5 gal pot of soup is somehow
> significant. The allergic people
> >  and the ex-addicts also inexplicably consume
> bread which is a result of
> the
> >  fermenting activity of yeast which produces lots
> of alcohol without any
> >  apparent problem. Sad but true.
>
> And let's not forget that a freshly baked dinner
> roll, hot from the oven,
> more than likely contains more alcohol (in the form
> of vapor) than said
> 5-gallon pot of soup.
>
> Bal

Oh, okay.  That is why I am a bread-o-holic.  I would
do almost anything for fresh baked bread.  I knew I
was in trouble years ago, when I was baby-sitting for
this family.  The mother told me that she had just
made a cake for me, and I could have as much as I
wanted of it.  Well, the cake was next to a loaf of
fresh baked bread.  When she and her husband got home
many hours later, the cake was still untouched, but
the bread was almost totally gone.  That was when I
started making my own.

And I have tried every kind there is ... white, wheat,
rye, oat, sour dough ... but it is the pumpernickle
that sent me down the road to ruin ... the next thing
I knew I was eating ... [gasp!] squaw bread ... and
... and ... [shudder] monkey bread!  That was when I
started walking the streets ... "Hey, mister!  For a
loaf of soda bread, I will show you how I butter it!
Just one loaf!  Okay, how about a dinner roll?"

It will take too long to tell the story of my road to
recovery, but at least now I know why I went down that
road in the first place ...

Thanks, Bal and Ras.

Huette