SC - New Rumpolt chapter & 15th century Dutch cookbook online

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 14:48:49 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
Thomas said:
>> I regret that only a few of you will have fun with the new texts,
>> so, please excuse the use of bandwidth.

>I don't think you have to appologize for the bandwidth....
>I assume from your comments that these have not been translated into
>English.

I have seen several references to online cookbooks in languages other
than English here lately.  For those who are interested but
language-deprived, there are not only many online translation
dictionaries, but a few web sites that will translate typed or
pasted-in text and/or whole web pages.  A few of these are:

AltaVista’s Babel Fish at
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/translate.dyn
(will translate French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese or Russian
to/from English, and German to/from French)

Go.COM’s GO Translator at http://translator.go.com/
(will translate French, German, Spanish, Italian, or Portuguese to/from
English)

FreeTranslation.Com at http://www.freetranslation.com/
(will translate French, German or Spanish to English, or English to
French, German Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, or Norwegian)

These sites do automatic translations via software -- very fast, not
always accurate (though occasionally quite humorous), but a good
starting point.  Any words they don’t know (and there are lots of
those, especially with the archaic and/or creative spellings in
transcriptions of old texts!) they simply don’t translate, and drop in
the word from the original.  To use these, go to the web page you want
translated, highlight the URL in the address field and copy it to your
clipboard; then go to the translation site, paste the address in the
site’s “Enter WEB page URL” field, choose your to/from languages, and
GO!  I have not used these much, or compared them much, but it’s enough
to give me a general idea what’s going on.  I’d be very interested in a
critique by anyone who could tell me how accurate a translation is.

Martindale’s The Reference Desk: LANGUAGE & TRANSLATION CENTER  at
http://www-sci.lib.uci.edu/HSG/Language.html#TRANS-T

has links to tons of other language dictionary and translation sites.

Especially of interest here would be a site I found while trying to
translate the list of ingredients and directions for use on a packet of
a spice mixture my parents brought back from Spain:
Spanish Food Dictionary at http://www.eden.com/~tomzap/food.html
This site is a general Spanish Language site put up by (IIRC) an
American couple living in Spain and teaching English there; they have a
few pages on Spanish food, including this specialized dictionary.  They
also have a “mailto:” for you to ask them anything not in the
dictionary, which I did twice; return responses came within a day or
two (actually, within hours once).  Very helpful.

Also -- since my folks also brought back a bit of Spanish Saffron --
anyone have a really good saffron recipe?  Paella recipes?  Those
Saffron waffers?

- -- Harriet (who's back on the list after a long absence, and hoping I
can keep up with the digests this time)