SC - An Andalusian lunch

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Mon Jul 31 20:05:17 PDT 2000

>>Honeyed bread, reduced recipe:
>>1/2 cup all purpose flour
>>1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt
>>4 egg yolks, lightly stirred up
>
>A ratl is about a pound, so your flour is about 1/7th of a ratl. So
>you should have about 3 egg yolks if you assume yours are the same
>size as theirs, perhaps 2 if you assume their eggs were smaller (I'm
>not sure what the evidence is on this).

Well, that might make a difference. I was using volume measurements hence the
1/2 cup of flour instead of 4 oz of flour. Good point about the egg yolks; next
time I try this I'll use two egg yolks and up the water content a bit. I'm still
adding salt though if for no other reason but that I think it tastes better with
some included.

I suspect that with less egg yolks and a little more water, the flatbreads will
end up being crispier. Also, these can be reheated with good results - they were
eaten the day after they were prepared after a 15 minute pass in a 300 degree F
oven having come straight out of the refrigerator.

Cedrin Etainnighean, OL