SC - Review; Venison in Pepper Sauce

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Jul 2 13:50:47 PDT 2000

I won't repost the recipe but will say these things;

1. Cooking time way too long (like Iasmine says), next time I will follow the
recipe (remember the mantra- "put your trust in the recipe, it will not lead
you astray") and not marinade. Will cook only for a few minutes.

2. The cut of meat may have been wrong for this process. I had venison
labelled "chops", which may have just been wrong for this recipe. Someone has
kindly offered me some venison roast, which I will be tryiing out next.

3. The cubes of meat were too small. I had cut them 1" by 1". I will cut them
to 3X3 next time. Seems like all the flavour was leached out by the boiling.

4. Use proper juice for sappa. Since I had not obtained the Valpolicella
must, I was (oh, cooking gods, please forgive me) forced to use(at gunpoint,
I swear) Welch's Concord Grape. It was too sugary, not enough flavour too it

5. This recipe was too sweet. Since Platina denotes the amount of raisins to
use, I have to decrease the amount of sappa. This will need to be
re-evaluated once I have the proper type of sappa to compare to the Welch's
swill, I currently have in my refridgerator.

6. Spices were kinda insipid. Up the quantities a bit- more cloves

7. For the final frying of venison, have lots of pork fat rendered so that
the meat can absorb some. Do not fry on as high heat. The crunchy portions
did not compliment the consistency of the sauce.

Next trial, I'll repost the results. If at first you don't
succeed........feed it to your dog

Hauviette