SC - Cressee webbed

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 3 13:25:33 PDT 2000

david friedman wrote:

> I've been crushing the saffron in a mortar, extracting with water,
> and mixing that in. Do you think using whole threads would give a
> stronger color, or dots of bright color, or what?

I think whole threads (which, ideally, would be soaked for a few minutes
in the eggs before mixing, although the recipe doesn't call for that)
would give a sort of reddish-yellow marbled-thread effect, and it's
possible keeping it whole might lessen the flavor release, so perhaps
you could use a little more and not be troubled by unpleasant flavors.
On the other hand, as I recall it also calls for ginger, which is a
great accompaniment to freshen up that saffron/iodine flavor. A billion
chinese seafood cooks can't be wrong ;  ) .

Probably the thing to do is soak your saffron in a minimal amount of
water, maybe a couple of tablespoons.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy