SC - Le menagier and Medieval Home companion

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jul 3 13:35:00 PDT 2000

At 6:05 PM -0400 7/3/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>Ladies and gents, can someone illuminate me on this point?
>
>I have in my possession Tania Bayard's edition of _The Goodman of Paris_,
>published as _A Medieval Home Companion_. I've been using the English
>translation of _Le Menagier de Paris_ by Janet Hinson online at:
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Menagier/Menagier_Contents.html
>
>Now, my sources say that these come from the same book... but the contents
>don't match! Are they really from the same book, or from two different
>books by the same title?

I don't know the Bayard book, but I had heard that it was only
selections from Le Menagier, not the whole thing. Similarly, the old
translation of Le Menagier leaves out chunks of the recipe
section--without telling you that it is doing so. Janet Hinson only
translated the cooking section, but she did all of it.

Does Bayard say what manuscript of the French original she is working from?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/