SC - Roast beef

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Jul 3 21:47:04 PDT 2000

"Aloes" appears to be a corruption of the Old French "aloyeaulx", or
larks, as this little spitted morsel of stuffed meat was intended to
resemble a small
 bird, either one stuffed or perhaps undrawn like an ortolan or bunting.
 Still later recipes for the same dish (sometimes ending up as a filling
for
 pies) refer to the basic stuffed meat roll as "olives".
> Adamantius

	Yep, I've always heard allows/aloes/olives as rolled "birds", so where
does this short ribs identity come from?  Anderson's glossary defines
them thusly: "Alows; corruption of French 'aloyaux', which were short
ribs; even the dish is a corruption of the original".
Cindy's glossary doesn't define the term, but she uses it as short ribs
in the recipe I mentioned, Alows de Beef or de Mutton.  (I'm not picking
on you Cindy!  These are the only two I've got to hand, and I was just
noticing the reddish stain on the bottom of both volumes, got to stop
cooking with it right in the kitchen!)

	Christianna